

well, i must say, this was only my second daring bakers challenge and i was down to the wire for two reasons. 1) i thought that the recipe would be emailed to me, and didn't realize that it was posted for all on the site 2) june has been a crazy month, and i just got back from maine this week.
thanks to kelly and ben for hosting the june challenge! (you can also get the tasty recipe on their pages as well!)
that said, this challenge was quite challenging for me. i'm not a patient person when it comes to so many steps! :) there was a lot of "waiting" for chilling, folding, proofing, etc. i am a lover of butter, but the butter block kinda grossed me out :) in the end, i think that i ended up rolling the danish way too thin, as you can see from the attached pictures.
danish is different from puff pastry, because it is sweet and yeast leavened. i did leave out the cardamom, and for my fillings i did two: 1) strawberry and cream cheese 2)blueberry and cream cheese - - one change i will do next time...for the cream cheese filling, i did a traditional cream cheese mix of cream cheese, egg yolks and sugar. next time, i will leave the sugar out. the combination of the sweet cheese AND the preserves proved to be wwwaaaaay too sweet. for the glaze, i decided to do a lime flavored confectioners drizzle, it gave it a lovely tartness!!
looking forward to the july challenge!! please check out my other talented daring bakers danish braids! (who i'm guessing turned out more fab than mine!!)

9 comments:
Well done. I like the Blueberry and Cream Cheese one :P
amen to all the chilling and resting steps! It was a 2 day affair for me. Nicely done!
Took me 2 days also, but it was a product well worth the time invested! Great job!
This was my second challenge too - you did a great job...I love your flavour choices - strawberry and blueberry are delicious :)
yours turned out just great! i hated the wait times, too...its so unlike me to have to wait. but aren't you glad we did??
-Susan of http://doughmesstic.blogspot.com
well done, and your fillings sounds so yummy! all the waiting during the dough-making part made me crazy too - so crazy that I put it in the fridge afterwards and didn't do the rest for three days. I was afraid my dough might not rise - and I think that may have happened a little, but I love the way it came out anyway. I missed the part where you were supposed to divide the dough in two, so I made a super-long, extra-dense braid, which was fine, because my dough didn't expand quite as much as it ought to have.
Hope you're doing well. Much love!
PS. Did you know that Andrew is coming to visit me here in Brooklyn next weekend? So excited!!!
Well done on your challenge.
Mmmmm...sounds good! Cream cheese just sounds wonderful
I did braid 2 with a blueberry/cream cheese filling just today - it was so good! I must say too - I'm coveting your blue bowl a bit :)
Post a Comment